These lawsuits make the supposition that the banning of election “innovations” such as same day registration, mail-in voting, not requiring photo ID to vote, not cleaning up the voter rolls, early voting, drop-boxes, etc. , unfairly “disenfranchises” minority voters.
This supposition is racist on it’s core. It makes the assumption that minorities do not have the life skills to be able to:
- Register to vote ahead of an election you might want to vote in.
- Acquire a photo ID which is required for everything from securing employment to buying liquor.
- Get to a polling place in person on election day with your photo ID to cast your ballot.
- If you are going to be out of the country or your are infirm, to apply for an absentee ballot, fill it out and mail it.
- If you move, to update your voter registration before the next election.
I have been doing this for the past 44 years. This is simply being a responsible citizen. I see no reason why anyone who is able to navigate American society should not be able to do that, and that includes minorities.
Our local board of elections mails out postcards to each registered voter reminding them to vote. These cards have a “do not forward” designation, and if the board of elections receives them back, they can strike that particular person from the rolls.
Democrats are the real racists, only now they practice the soft bigotry of low expectations.